Website Walsall Council
Assistant Environmental Manager – Ref: EE29618
- Walsall Borough
- £28,768 to £32,808 per annum (plus casual car user allowance)
- Annual leave 27 to 32 days per annum (depending on length of local government service)
- Walsall Council, Clean & Green Services
- Flexible working scheme – required to operate flexible work patterns to meet the operational demands of the service including but not limited to – early morning starts, cover for end of day operations, lunch time cover arrangements
- Bank Holidays – Contractual, payment will be paid at basic rate (time) + half + time off in lieu
- Stand By / Call Out Duty – required to be part of the operational stand by arrangements rota to support out of hours operations and weekend duties. Stand By Payment in accordance with agreement and subject to future review in accordance with corporate pay structures and pay and grading. Call out – will be credited as TOIL.
We are seeking a qualified and experienced manager to work within Clean & Green Services undertaking front line supervision across street scene services including waste, grounds maintenance and street cleansing based at our Pelsall Road Depot, Brownhills. Main activities include:
- To assist in the management, development and implementation of service operations, including assistance in delivery of policies, strategies, projects and initiatives to deliver a sustainable customer focused, high quality, cost effective environmental services (waste, fleet, grounds/green spaces, street cleansing) for all stakeholders including residents, commercial businesses, internal council services, elected members etc.
- To assist in the management of front line operational services, ensuring that Council vision and priorities are met.
- Ensure services are provided to the highest possible standards within the resources available. Human Resource management including setting targets, managing performance, attendance and conduct.
- To ensure effective liaison and foster good working relationships with all current and potential internal and external service providers/users i.e. contact centre/public/elected members.
- Responsible for assisting in ensuring health & safety policies, procedures and legislation are implemented, communicated and managed throughout the team.
- Assist in providing, communicating and planning environmental services to all communities, groups, public, across the borough for the collection and disposal of waste, keeping our streets clean and safe, maintaining our parks, green space to ensure neighbourhoods within the borough are clean, safe, sustainable, aesthetically pleasing and making people feel pride in the areas they live.
Interested candidates should possess:
- Have an appropriate NVQ level 3 / equivalent or other suitable qualification in an Engineering, Environmental, Fleet, Horticultural or Waste Management discipline
- Hold an appropriate Health and Safety Qualification (IOSH or equivalent)
- UK Driving Licence
- Good levels of literacy and numeracy skills
Closing date: 25 March 2019
This post is covered by the Government’s Code of Practice on the English Language Fluency Duty for public sector workers. The postholder will be required to communicate verbally with customers and provide advice and/or information in accurate spoken English.
To apply for this job please visit www.wmjobs.co.uk.