The Essex Property and Facilities team is responsible for managing and maintaining the Essex County Council’s £1.7bn estate, which covers approx. 350 buildings from libraries to County Hall, and around 1,500 sites ranging from residential care, to country parks and schools. ECC’s challenge is to enable a lean estate strategy to achieve best value whilst supporting service delivery.
This role is part of the Capital Investment and Delivery leadership team and has a key role to play in shaping and informing capital investment opportunities. The successful applicant will lead and manage the corporate estates and facilities function for the Council, leveraging commercial value to support more efficient service delivery.
Lead on the property strategy, with accountability for providing insight and intelligence to inform the future development.
- Take responsibility for ensuring delivery of the property strategy and all substantial, complex cross-cutting and collaborative asset management projects, from conception to completion.
- Be accountable for the implementation of ECCs property strategies, policies, guidance, protocols and processes. With programmes in place to undertake regular reviews and ensure changes in legislation/modern working practices are incorporated, thereby ensuring organisational compliance with all external and internal regulation.
- Have accountability for the management of the supplier contract and to perform the intelligent client role. Driving through service improvements to meet customer needs, improving quality and achieving value whilst ensuring statutory responsibilities are met.
- Lead on developing effective working relationships at senior level with partner organisations to maximise the potential for the co-location or shared use of accommodation, in line with government and corporate goals, to achieve further efficiencies in the use of public sector accommodation.
- Horizon scan to identify market best practice in property and facilities strategic and day to day management.
- Act as the subject matter expert to colleagues in Capital Investment and Delivery to provide challenge and validation of capital delivery opportunities.
- Be accountable for ensuring the Essex Property and Facilities service adequately and appropriately supports the current and changing requirements of its stakeholders, customers and partners, providing property and facilities strategic input.
- Lead teams of people, addressing specific barriers to delivery, exploring the potential for new delivery models, generating workable solutions and recommendations for further action.
You will need to be commercially minded, enthused at the prospect of leading a strategically crucial function and a creative problem solver.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following …
- Educated to degree level in a property and/or facilities management related discipline or equivalent experience.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area. Qualified member of an appropriate property and/or facilities professional body.
- Significant experience leading a Property and/or Facilities Management service.
- Experience of working in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment with a diverse property terrier.
- Ability to work effectively with internal stakeholders to scope requirements and work with external partners in a commissioning role, with evidence of contract and project management in a property and facilities field.
- Excellent influencing and communication skills – able to challenge robustly and constructively; adept at communicating complex challenges in a clear, compelling way.
- Leadership of a team – creates a high-performance culture, draws on specialist skills and expertise effectively, celebrates success. Brings together diverse capabilities from across the organisation around clear goals.
- Embeds a culture of continuous improvement and innovation – learning from current practice inside and outside the organisation to test different approaches to delivery.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
To apply, please email a copy of your CV with a supporting statement to Grace.Shaughnessy@essex.gov.uk .
Closing Date: 23/04/2019
To apply for this job please visit www.workingforessex.com.